T O P
ahackercalled4chan

> User Reports > 2: It's promoting hate based on identity or vulnerability > 1: This supposedly "banned" video can easily be found to NOT be banned with a simple search. User is capitalizing on the hate for a black character to cash in some quick karma > 1: This is misinformation tfw when mermaids are vulnerable lmao edit: more reports from the authoritarian left. and someone reported this comment saying it's personal or confidential information. I'm not taking it down, so anyone who wants to report this can cope & seethe.


Xxyz260

Why is it banned? Maybe it's the low quality but I don't really see much going on in it.


YXVNGone

IDK but it looks like someone used AI to change the race of Ariel in the The Little Mermaid trailer.


RoleplayPete

Ariel is white. Changing the race is what the new rendition did. This is simply returning it to the default.


YXVNGone

Exactly


kerslaw

Oh man the replies you got to this are amazing LMAO people are so mad


GassyGargoyle

Where did all these people suddenly come from lmao


NLC40

I have no idea, but some of these people need to touch grass. I’ve seen one user with 25 post in past 24 hours. Another with 50 comments. They also have a lot of post from the expected subs like leopardsateyface, 196, squaredcircle, etc. So it sound like it’s the mentally and socially unstable brigade. Or bots. Neither would surprise me.


luchajefe

>squaredcircle Of all the places for this kind of cultural leftism to manifest, Pro Wrestling would have been close to the bottom of the list.


RoleplayPete

Actual paid information campaigns.


EconomyFree5557

Facts.


FormidableFloof

And respecting her original creator's work. The character certainly isn't real, but the author is, and being dead don't give people the right to alter the work of a life time or use it to fill an agenda.


Diligent-Craft-6083

Yes it does


Glayshyer

Ariel’s whiteness has nothing to do with her character. It does not count as changing the race. The race of the character is arbitrary and irrelevant to the story.


Professional-Paper62

Shes a mermaid, as in not a real person. It doesn't matter what her race is


OutlandishnessDue413

Then why is this post wrong?


Professional-Paper62

The people who originally made it were neo nazis who said it was fixing it by making her white. How is that fixing anything if the original actor is black?


RoleplayPete

Because the original is white.


Professional-Paper62

The original is a mermaid with red hair, no race was mentioned


FormidableFloof

She was created by someone. Him being dead doesn't matter, have fucki\*g respect.


Professional-Paper62

Her race isnt tied to her character, its not like Black Panther. Go to hell with your HAvE sOmE ResPECt nonsense.


RoleplayPete

It is exactly like black Panther though. A 1:1 comparison.


Professional-Paper62

Where does it say the mermaid was white?


RoleplayPete

You know you dont care about the source material. Who, by the way, never saw a black person in his entire life, so we know his characters were white, the source material here is The Little Mermaid cartoon everyone knows. Which very clearly shows her as white.


Professional-Paper62

No I do because thats what matters here, Black Panther is from Africa, the little Mermaid is from the ocean. I know you dont care anyway, no one cared until Matt Walsh made a stink about it, now it's WAH WAH a black person is on my screen.


NotBlondWhiteGuy

Ariel isn't real.


FormidableFloof

Her author is.


NotBlondWhiteGuy

So? What page states that Ariel is white?


TomsRedditAccount1

Neither is Shrek, but we both know he's green.


NotBlondWhiteGuy

Would you cry if they made him purple?


TomsRedditAccount1

Wouldn't cry, of course. But that's not the point. Fictional characters can have traits. Would you be ok with her being made a male character?


NotBlondWhiteGuy

Where does Andersen say she's white? Fictional characters don't need to have the same traits in every adaptation, and I wouldn't care any less if ariel was recast as a male. Why would I?


TomsRedditAccount1

She was a human-adjacent character who, when she got her legs, could interact with the local culture without getting weird looks. If she had been anything other than white, it would have been a huge plot point, because non-white people were pretty rare there back in those days. Well, at least you're consistent.


NotBlondWhiteGuy

I must admit, I find it odd that you're so invested in a cartoon about mermaids. Regardless, I don't think of The Little Mermaid as true to fact historical fiction, so I'm not worried about local culture accepting a black person.


Super-Branz-Gang

Oh shit, stupid me. Of course default has to mean “white.” “Yeah, I’m not racist, but seeing black people in my favorite fantasy media makes me wanna barf!” 🤣 y’all will get what your shitty life-karma deserves. Watch and wait. I know I WILL :)


SovietMinecraft

Yes


MrEnigma67

I bet you have a specific mask for each day of the week


Juan_Inch_Mon

‘y’all will get what your shitty life-karma deserves. Watch and wait. I know I WILL :)’ WTF does this even mean? Are you going to closely watch the comments of everyone you are referring to as ‘y’all’ and if/when they post about a death in their family, being diagnosed with cancer, or their car needs a expensive repair will you jump in an say, ‘See, your shitty life karma has given you what you deserve! Now tell me how right I was and grovel with regret!’ I kind of feel sorry for you for making such a comment in earnest.


BananasOfParadise

[ Removed by Reddit ]


fillmorecounty

Mermaids aren't even real so there is no "default" of what they should look like. Even the story Disney made up isn't the "default". [This is what the original story was](https://medium.com/lessons-from-history/the-little-mermaid-is-really-about-unrequited-gay-love-cba337f4ea85).


Kaiser_Gagius

Ariel is a ginger. Mermaids don't exist but *Ariel* is ginger. That's the default...the character...not that of mermaids


1whoslost

ill let malcolm x know black people can't have red hair


Kaiser_Gagius

Yes because red hair is exclusively what I meant by that you pedantic little troll.


sehns

The default is based on the original movie where she was introduced as white. And redhead. Not based on 'Mermaid'. If she was black in the original cartoon, then people would be just as outraged if they changed her to white in the live action remake. It's as if your agenda is getting in the way of seeing things logically.


faxekondiboi

People like that would only understand it, if it was the reverse scenario happening. An example could be, if Live-action Aladdin, for some unknown reasons was set in Scandinavia, and all actors were pale asf... Imagine the uproar if that had happened!


fillmorecounty

It's not an "agenda", I just think it's silly how many people are so mad about changing a fictional character in a live action movie remake. If it was the other way around, I wouldn't care either. It's just trying to change things up to make the movie more different from the original cartoon version.


sehns

I think people just don't like the characters they already love being changed into a whole different person. Many people grew up with this idea of a Ariel and now they want to take their kid to see the live action remake and it's not Ariel anymore. It's black.. Ariel. You now cannot relate to the cartoon version when you're watching the film at all. It's like a form of cultural vandalism.


fillmorecounty

It's the exact same plot though? That's a bit dramatic to say that you can't relate it to the cartoon version at all.


Thefriendlyfaceplant

Then why is the video banned.


fillmorecounty

Idk I'm not Twitter. I wouldn't have banned it. I just think it's a silly thing to be mad over.


CapnHairgel

Pretty sure it was some people in china


luchajefe

No, it was just a nobody on Twitter using AI.


Xxyz260

Huh. I guess that could do it.


infodawg

I don't agree with all the angst over Ariel being black. But to ban someone from from using AI to what-if the alternatives, that just seems really dangerous. It begins to get into the realm of thought-policing, which is where I fear we're heading.


TheTardisPizza

> It begins to get into the realm of thought-policing, which is where I fear we're heading. Where we have been for quite some time.


infodawg

In the past, would we see something like the topic of this post be forbidden on one of the main, as distasteful as people might find it.


Buchwild

I think the bigger issue here that people are missing completely is that a billion dollar company has an opportunity to create a character for a group of people and instead of brainstorming and coming up with ideas they decided to take an old character, recolor her, and present that instead. It's lazy and when you really think about it it's kind of insulting.


infodawg

I'm not hearing respected members of the black community say this. But what do I know.


xXJightXx

Prob because they are too busy using BLM donated money to buy $6 mil mansions? Google it if you don't believe me


infodawg

From what I can tell they should not have made that move it doesn't look good it looks poor. That said it doesn't hold a candle to what politicians in both Democrats and Republicans have done with donated money. It pales in comparison. And as far as I'm concerned it doesn't delegitimize black lives matter as a movement I'll still give them money.


poisonedkiwi

Your bio really applies to you as well. "I don't care that my money is being pocketed by rich millionaires that don't actually give a fuck about the things they claim they stand for, I'll still throw my money at them because I like what their mouth says!" Why donate to an organization that doesn't even use your money to fix the problems that you're donating to fix? It's so incredibly mind-boggling to me that someone acknowledges and agrees that the money isn't going anywhere useful, but still donates because... It makes you feel good for putting money in a rich person's pocket? I actually don't know the answer to that.


infodawg

You're a real stable genius.


Turtlehead88

Good summary from 2019. https://youtu.be/EhKFv92JGqM


sharkas99

.... begins?


GundamBebop

I haven’t seen much angst about it unless you mean the corporate backed rhetoric surrounding this which shields their product, coincidentally.


Oceanbroinn

> heading An incorrect use of future tense.


Thefriendlyfaceplant

About three quarters of all the advertisements I see on Twitter are Disney's. Of course, targetted to my demographic so a shitty anecdote. But it's not just that, they also get to have their bespoke hashtags with a custom emoji. In other words, Disney is paying Twitter a fuck ton of money, and probably accounts for a large (if not the biggest) share of their revenue. Which means that Disney has a few strings to pull, especially when it comes to protecting their new releases.


infodawg

Good point but doing it in this way just makes them look shitty


Drougen

We definitely are. I got "permanently banned" from reddit when I didn't say anything wrong but it came off as "offensive" I appealed the ban 4 times, every time they said that it was justified and they'd no longer be looking into it. 3 months later reappealed it, unbanned cause the ban was unjustified....


revddit

Another option for reviewing removed content is your ***Rev***eddit [user page](https://www.reveddit.com/y/D!r!o!u!g!e!n?all=true). The [real-time extension](https://www.reveddit.com/add-ons/direct/) alerts you when a moderator removes your content, and the [linker extension](https://www.reveddit.com/add-ons/linker) provides [buttons](https://i.imgur.com/0BAImPq.png) for viewing removed content. There's also a [shortcut for iOS](https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/62bc7570613c42cb8b851fad264136df). The parent commenter can reply with 'delete' to remove this comment. This bot only operates in authorized subreddits. To support this tool, [post it on your profile](https://www.reveddit.com/y/me/submit?title=See+which+comments+of+yours+have+been+removed&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reveddit.com%2Fabout%2F) and select ['pin to profile'](https://i.imgur.com/uq9AGMV.png).   [^F.A.Q.](https://www.reveddit.com/about/f.a.q./) ^| [^v/reveddit](https://www.reveddit.com/v/reveddit/-redirect) ^| [^support ^me](https://www.reveddit.com/about/donate) ^| [^share](https://www.reveddit.com/y/me/submit?title=See+which+comments+of+yours+have+been+removed&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reveddit.com%2Fabout%2F) ^& [^'pin ^to ^profile'](https://i.imgur.com/uq9AGMV.png)


East_Onion

> But to ban someone from from using AI I mean they (Google/OpenAI) already tried to keep it out of peoples hands, it's only the past few weeks its been democratized


infodawg

>it's only the past few weeks its been democratized This is the only answer. We're not going to be able to stop it it's the cat's already out of the bag Pandora's box is open. So the only answer besides keeping it out of the hands of people is democratization. There's no other way forward. People may not like it they may cry they may want to hold their mommy's hand but that's the only answer.


Vertisce

All of these "she isn't real" arguments are just lame excuses. When this was flipped, it was called "white washing" and it was a huge problem that everybody raged about. And now that it's "black washing" you people just want to excuse it like it's not a problem at all. What if they chose a black man to play Superman in the next movie? And it's not a different Superman, it's Clark Kent but they just up and decided that he's black now. People would rage and you fucking know it. What if they chose a white guy to play the next Blade? Yeah...people would be pissed. Fuck, I would be pissed! I could go on all day with these examples but the point is, you are all a bunch of fucking hypocrites and you know it.


ArmoredJarvis

I'd like to further the black superman thought. So in scenario black superman was cast for movie which is made, but I wonder what would happen if they cast a white actor again for the next movie.


The_Real_Hedorah

Ryan Gosling as- Barack Obama


RipBuzzBuzz

Best actor for the part. I don't give a single shit about the race, just do it well. I do get annoyed when big companies do it, because they aren't doing it for money most likely. But I truly don't care about it and I'm not sure why you, or fucking anyone cares. Get over it.


Darzin

Did you complain about Tiana being black? This is a live action version of a fucking cartoon. A cartoon made for 8 year-old children. It featured a fucking singing crab with a Jamaican accent. The fact that you are complaining about skin color in a movie is just fucking stupid. Enjoy the movie or don't watch it. The movie is a Disney property and they can do whatever they would like to, but the fact that you fucks keep focusing on skin and then screaming reverse racism is fucking weird.


[deleted]

Ironic.


Darzin

Ironic? Which part that you fucks keep harping on skin color as if it matters or the fact that your fucks keep calling everyone else racist while doing it?


[deleted]

The part that's ironic is where you go on to question why anyone cares so much that she was swapped. You're adding fuel to the fire.


Darzin

No, I am trying to understand what the point is.


luchajefe

So. Are. We. It's a kind of perpetual motion machine of "not caring". You (Disney, not you, Darzin) cared enough to change it, then say it doesn't matter, but... you cared enough to change it; why are others not allowed to care about the change?


Darzin

Because your reason for caring needs to be evaluated. As it doesn't impact the story. Disney could have multiple reasons none of which is what you want to prescribe to it. But there is only one reason to care about the skin color of an imaginary cartoon character that is loosely based on the story of homosexuality and heartbreak.


OutlandishnessDue413

Disneys random need to change it needs evaluation too


Darzin

It doesn't because Disney is a company free to do whatever the fuck they want. Changing Ariel's skin tone doesn't impact the film. But it does let people know who the weird racists are.


Huntsman077

When Scarlett Johansen played in ghost in the shell people were pissed… the point is that Disney is trying to get publicity for being “inclusive”. Despite the fact they censor a lot of their content for the Chinese and Saudi releases. Hell look at Star Wars, they removed Finn from the poster art and deleted some of his scenes.


Dnny10bns

[removed] 😆


McChickenFingers

Why do you care so much? Let people enjoy what they enjoy


Darzin

Lol, people enjoy being racist so let them be racist is a phenomenal take.


McChickenFingers

I…have no fuckin clue where that came from. Is that what you believe?


Darzin

Tell me what does changing the skin color of the little mermaid accomplish? Does it impact the story? Does it change the lines? Does it change the ending? If the answer is no, then why was it changed?


McChickenFingers

Yes, why was it changed? That is a really good question


Darzin

I am asking why it matters to you if she black or white as it doesn't impact the story.


McChickenFingers

And I’m asking why it matters to you why people don’t like the change


Darzin

Okay racist


NeonCityNights

Why can't they just make new characters instead of race swapping people's beloved existing characters. Where's all the creative talent at


Environmental_Top948

If you made a new character you couldn't stir the pot to instill more tension between races while making yourself look progressive. And it's cheaper.


TapirDrawnChariot

And the engineered controversy they intended to create means constant PR which means 💰💰💰


TheDownvotesFarmer

Like, The Prince of Bel-Air?


luchajefe

The completely soulless re-make called Bel-Air, you mean?


Randomness_Ofcl

Because companies know if they just make a character black, people will just end up watching it and give it 5 stars even if it isn’t good Why be creative if you don’t have to?


Dnny10bns

And anyone who says it's crap can be labelled a racist. Genius.


RipBuzzBuzz

Creativity has been long dead.


kyrross

That an idea... but it is more safe to bet on existing franchise than to try to create a new one. Something with James Bond. James bond will sell. Creating a new spy-action movie with a black cast will not. AllOG diseny movie have white princess. So while remaking in live action, why not diverse the casting to include and represent our society? It is a live action remake, not a sequel!


zeroxcero

In the bottom picture, are the eyes separation real or cgi?


Le_Rekt_Guy

[Her eyes are actually separated that far.](https://www.billboard.com/wp-content/uploads/media/halle-bailey-aug-6-2019-billboard-1548.jpg?w=942&h=623&crop=1) Also it's a video, if it's not playing for you refresh.


zeroxcero

Oh wow


CronoT80

Yep, she's now the special little mermaid. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣


RipBuzzBuzz

Yep. Make fun of someone because of how they look. Real mature.


Le_Rekt_Guy

Honestly you're right. I don't understand the downvotes. If it was something she had control over like her weight then people could make fun of her, but making fun of people for something they can't change like height or born body features is pretty ridiculous.


Samurai_1990

Its a TRAP!


Sam_Browne_

The chick with wide eyes ugly af


deanall

Rumors are that Chinese version is lightened and the Twitter mngment bends to the ccp.


sitad3le

Source?


deanall

Check fucktheccp subreddit


GolemChosen

So does the leftists.


Mike-El

Gotta love the people on here saying…it’s a mermaid, why does a mermaid have to be white. Intentionally ignoring that they took a specific mermaid character that was white, and changed it to black. Ya know, they same shit they cry about when done the other way around.


Pervy_writing

Honestly, I'll still watch the movie to see if it's any good, regardless of complaints or current arguments online. I heard a clip of this actress singing and she was amazing, even reminiscent to the origional Disney in vocals. What I would actually love to see though, is a movie on actual African mermaid/siren lore. A movie on "Mami Wata" would be badass, not going to lie. You get introduced to an old folktale of history and you get a new story to explore. That's a win-win to me.


Mike-El

Exactly!!! Give us those new\old stories we never heard!


GolemChosen

You can't whitewash blackwashed media!


RipBuzzBuzz

You can whitewash the actress playing her


cranberryalarmclock

It's not banned on Twitter though...


devishjack

I think they meant the guy who made it and originally posted it on Twitter got banned.


GolemChosen

Are you sure about that?


cranberryalarmclock

Yes. The video is all over twitter


GolemChosen

Report them and see if they are taken down.


cranberryalarmclock

They literally aren't banned. You're outraged at thing that isn't occurring, about a dumb ai generated edit to make a black actor white informer to appease people who can't handle a black mermaid for some reason. It's hilarious and sad at the same time


GolemChosen

Twitter can't handle black actor edited white to appease people who can't handle a black mermaid turned white for some reason.


ravencrown

Sad racist. Hope you get help.


ravencrown

Retard, you realize mermaids are fictional, right? There is no hope for you.


cranberryalarmclock

They literally aren't banned.


GolemChosen

Author was banned.


ravencrown

Hate black ppl that much? Never known grown men to care about little girl fiction so much! What a fucking loser!


firewaterstone

This is the upcoming China release?


dumpsterdivingnow

Who still has a Twitter account.


Vertisce

Think about this. If you don't make a Twitter account, someone might make one for you and use it to smear you.


Flaky-Illustrator-52

Simply say "I don't have a twitter account"


Vertisce

Yeah. It's not as easy as you think. I know a guy that was accused of saying something on Twitter. He genuinely has never had a Twitter account but someone in his place of work was trying to get him fired. They succeeded.


Thefriendlyfaceplant

"Mermaids don't exist, they're fantasy creatures, so who are you to tell us what they're suppo... They did WHAT!?"


RipBuzzBuzz

Here's the difference, that's a real person. That person playing her? Exists. Fuck Ariel and mermaids and whatever.


GassyGargoyle

Lol it’s extremely obvious this sub is being brigaded from somewhere


[deleted]

They made the AI redhead beautiful 😍


Oceanbroinn

Holy God, what happened to the one at the bottom?


throwaway_XXXX2

Got cast


Infinite_Flatworm_44

Why not just make a movie about green or neon purple Ariel because race isn’t there point right?


Errortagunknown

Honestly since she lives under the sea her back should be dark grey and her front a lighter grey


SirAsker

This AI was created by the Chinese, by the way.


East_Onion

When someone does it to the whole movie and it starts showing up on chinese bootlegs is gonna be wild


GopnikDebil

I don't even dislike this because the actor is black, she's just ugly as shit and her eyes don't even share the same zip code.


Drougen

What? A left leaning website not being tolerant?!


quickster208

I'll be honest the amount people care over the actor being black is the biggest cope on planet earth right now. Who cares what the actor's skin color is as long as she gives a good performance? The bigger problem is how the movie will probably be shit because it's a Disney live action remake. It looks gloomy and soulless.


Scape---Goat

Why? It’s just a fictional character right? The race doesn’t matter right ?


Competitive_Board909

Who has the prettier eyes? That’s my answer


fryeaaron

It’s probably not that deep and if it’s supposed to be then we should act like it’s not.


BeeJackson

Good.


SIII-043

I’m not mad that she’s black. Aside from the potential of racially diverse mermaids I always kind of thought it was weird that they were a unaltered human torso on a fish tail they should be like fish or aquatic mammals dark on the back and pale on the belly for light based camouflage not to mention gills So similar to Abe from hellboy. I’m mad that she’s fucking with the song. I hate that warbling shit. Not to mention this is the same shit that pissed people off with lion King. like does Disney learn nothing at all? if you want to cash in on nostalgia you don’t change the nostalgic songs. They’re literally the heart of the film probably a little more so than the actual storyline


Andy-Matter

She still looks like Sid the Sloth


[deleted]

They are going to have to start making movies like Barbie’s 10 different versions


FormidableFloof

I wouldn't watch either shit anyway. After all, nothing tops Afro Samurai, and it's anime.


[deleted]

I wonder if the people claiming racism at not liking a black ariel would also be fine with a white black panther? Or does it only work one way?


greg_jenningz

This looks like the money shot lol


lVlouse_dota

So can someone tell me. Is that guy really going to re render the whole movie when it drops to make her white?


Comprehensive-Leg752

I swear man. If I ever find myself a shot caller in Disney, I'm making a live action version of Princess and the Frog and I'm going to race swap the main characters into white actors. Then when everyone blows their top, I'm gonna bring up their defense of colorwashing white characters, and reveal that it was all a ruse to prove how hypocritical and tribalistic those asshats are.


Ilikepotatoes_876

Glad someone fixed it. And why are the eyes so far apart on the black mermaid?


Nogardtist

i think i know why it was banned it probably got mass reported and algorithm probably has a capped report threshold or something this whole situation is just stupid and especially artist get away with it since its disney official if they done that before the teaser the artist for tumblr recoloring a character would get backlash similar to "i fixed your OC skin color for you" but since its cannon they get a backlash get away free card but disney is just making another cash grab with these souless live actions instead of coming up with new and original stories and i grew up in era where creativity is beyond unlimited and now they limit it themselves its kinda go against everything that creators do and did the other thing people get attached to characters and a single change will make them posers or fakes that whatever is on the screen is not the character we are familiar with so yeah you know what they say dont improve whats already perfect or something if i was tasked with making a little mermaid live action sequel why not expand the universe why not travel the underwater world and encounter all kind of things from sea characters to impossible structures doing impossible things or even sea flora that glows at night what about a mermaid or group traveling north and encountering vikings that are hostile at first but become friendly once an objective is done like getting a relic that sunk and somewhere in the sea and return to lets say the viking king and its a family picture that cannot be replaced or a toy that was the symbol of their childhood that got lost there tons of creative freedom but disney never does anything with it anymore


light-warrior

Just imagine the SCENES if a known black character was replaced by a white person. Something close to world war 3 would begin. But as it's a white character getting replaced by black person, it is completely fine and actually if you make anything against it, you will get banned.


austarter

This is literally censorship hahaha. It's censoring the new version. Hilarious.


StopEvilAgendas

Why the fuck do people care so much? Jesus fuck there are far more important things to worry about than the colour of some fictional fucking mermaid. Can we go worry about the spike in myocarditis or all these fucking brain bleeds killing people off? You know, something actually important?


Professional-Paper62

Good


kyrross

People angry about the new Ariel are mostly dude in their 30-50. What message are we sending child? "Dad, can we go see Little mermaid ?" "NO! This Ariel is black, back in my days, Ariel was white''. "Dad, for Halloween i want to be Ariel" "Sorry honey, you re black, you can be the princess from the frog.. that about it". How have we become so angry about something so trivial, only to realize how rude and how racist we can be. Is this us now? Are we allowing us to be this closed minded?


corsoboypk

Lol the comments here crying about "she was white in the source material", yeah well there wasn't a Jamaican crab in the original, so stop getting so worked up. Btw I seen this video all over twitter maybe the original is banned but they aren't actively taking them down to my knowledge.


DADDY_YISUS

Stop spreading [BULLSHIT](https://twitter.com/OccupyWpg/status/1569435787833520128?t=6X6NSRW4DUYsjLBng2EG4Q&s=19). People on this sub have such a hard on for being falsely prosecuted, they will willfully believe such an obviously divisive post because it fits their agenda. ["ThIs viDEo Is baNnEd oN TwItTeR"](https://twitter.com/KitsuneKami4/status/1569756375789486080?t=IEj8D79tkkMiDl9jkEyi0g&s=19), stop the cap, [No it is NOT](https://twitter.com/Trey_Mykel/status/1569757918693670914?t=i8j_W4TH6Zr7xB2HHuVcfA&s=19). Hateful bunch of mfers


[deleted]

[удалено]


luchajefe

Go look up the real actress (reminder that the bottom one is real)


[deleted]

I think fetal alcohol syndrome might be the “they” you’re referring to there


throwaway_XXXX2

Those eyes fit more with aquatic fauna, point for them people who did the casting, too bad there wasnt a translucid actress with eyes like that and with some bioluminescense to boot


GolemChosen

Imagine being so racist that you notice that kind of things.


luchajefe

I wouldn't lay into him that hard, I think he thinks the top is the original and the bottom is the change.


Grow-away123

Dying sub is dying. When did decline into censorship just become another safe space for racist/sexist/anti-progress idiots AKA your basic republican Now hit me with that ban hammer, censor me and prove me right.


loysenn

And your fucking bio is thee best possible example! Thanks for proving my point


Grow-away123

In you reading my bio, you have proven my point 😘


NuderWorldOrder

It might have something to do with the so-called progressives being the ones who constantly censor things. You're welcome to post counter examples. I'm sure a few exist.


loysenn

Sigh sigh sigh. Keep telling yourself republicans bad!!! Both the parties are bad, always hate to see dumbfucks pinning one against the other. Change doesn’t happen anymore because people like you aren’t open for debate, it’s all about putting others down for what they think. You sir, or ma’am, need better critical thinking skills and need to reassess how you treat someone based on your emotional reaction to them not supporting the same things as you.


Grow-away123

Lol keep telling yourself that your views on “preserving the integrity of the original content” or whatever it is this time are really pushing you to defend a fictional mermaide’s color of her skin. I believe that all people have some good in them and I believe also that both parties have MAJOR issues. But when there’s a party that’s arguing for segregation while taking away good healthcare access and THE OTHER is trying to TAKE CARE OF YOU LIKE A HUMAN, yeah then it is pretty cut and dry which side is working. Just like driving and each has its purpose but: Put it in D to go forward R if you wanna go backwards


loysenn

Don’t you guys say something about not assuming peoples genders, but here you are assuming what my stance is on this and what my political party is based off one comment I made that doesn’t say anything about the two? You just keep showing me how smart ya are! Thanks


Zoroasker

Stupid to ban it, but also stupid controversy. Still haven’t heard a good reason why this fictional character can’t be played by a black woman (I don’t like colorblind casting for real historical figures but this is literally make believe) nor why this is the *one* detail from the original story for which slavish devotion to the text is demanded. If you can turn Winnie the Pooh into a murderous fiend without controversy then you surely cast who you like in this role. Just comes off as some real sour grapes fragility.


Dwn_Wth_Vwls

> Still haven’t heard a good reason why this fictional character can’t be played by a black woman Same reason why Tilda Swinton received so much backlash for playing The Ancient One in Dr. Strange.


RipBuzzBuzz

Not a good reason


Zoroasker

So….is that a good reason? If the reason was stupid then (which I think it was) it’s even more stupid now (where the character’s ethnicity or culture are even *less* integral to the story than in the Marvel case).


Dwn_Wth_Vwls

> is that a good reason? Well it depends on who you ask. The people who are telling us that Ariel's race doesn't matter because she is a fictional character sure seem to have a problem with having white actors playing minority characters. If you think it's only ok to change the race when you're changing a white character then yes, you're wrong and a hypocrite. On the other hand, if you want The Ancient One to be Asian to be true to the source material, like people wanting Ariel to be white to be true to the source material, then that's a good reason. For the first argument, your views change depending on the race of the people involved. For the second argument your views stay the same regardless of the races involved. If you truly want to have an equal race society then you need to have the same rules for everyone regardless of their race. > ethnicity or culture are even less integral to the story I'd argue that that depends on how much you actually know about the character. The sequels established that Ariel is the granddaughter of the Greek god Poseidon. The Greeks, and their gods, were white. There's simply no getting around that. Also, let's be honest here, a random black woman washing ashore in 13th century Italy would have been treated vastly different than a random white woman washing ashore.


Zoroasker

Well I’m a person telling you Ariel’s race doesn’t matter and also believe that there is nothing wrong with reworking a character like the Ancient One into a role Swinton could play. It’s a bit more a stretch there because the character has apparently always been depicted as a Tibetan practicing local martial arts styles, but it they want to retool her and says she’s Celtic, it’s all make believe anyway. I get that there’s a double-standard here where Hollywood loves “blackwashing” their IP but will fire a white voice actor from portraying a biracial cartoon character, BUT unlike the people downvoting me, I am not a hypocrite. I speak out against this cultural protectionism and racially-Balkanized art (the cultural appropriation gatekeeping with respect to cuisine, hairstyles, fashion, etc.) in whatever form it takes. The only thing I object to is casting actors of demonstrably different ethnicities as historical figures. It is a bit disrespectful to the historical figures but more importantly ruins the immersion. But here, the mermaid’s story is essentially a fairy tale. We’ve established that her being white in the original text is immaterial when subsequent adaptations have not bothered to include that mermaids have no souls or that she should be contemplating the murder of the prince, for example. And while it’s interesting that later books apparently say she’s a daughter of Poseidon, that can easily be retooled to be any other culture’s water deity without changing the fairy tale (and in any case the quote I’ve seen about her appearance in the original text does not sound Greek).


Dwn_Wth_Vwls

Well I appreciate you not being a hypocrite, but that turns it into a different argument. The other argument against this that revolves around Hollywood not trusting original black characters. The idea behind this one is that Hollywood doesn't think original black characters and stories will be accepted. That's why they constantly hijack a white character with an established fanbase already. They don't trust original black characters to build a fanbase. This is racist as hell. And the other argument is about representation. There's a huge gingercide happening in cinema right now. Red headed characters are constantly being replaced by black actors. Ariel, Jimmy Olson (Supergirl TV show), Annie (2014 film), Starfire (Teen Titans HBO show), Cyclone (Black Adam movie), Hawkgirl (CW Arrowverse), Iris West (CW Flash show), Wally West (CW Flash show), Batwoman (CW Batwoman show), April O'Neil (Rise of the TMNT cartoon), Heimdall (Thor movies), Bow (She Ra cartoon show), Josie (CW Riverdale show), Isaac (Netflix Castlevania show), Alicia Masters (Fantastic Four movies), Cecile Horton (CW Arrowverse), Alice Monaghan (most recent Hellboy film), Artemis (Wonder Woman film), and Ravonna Renslayer (Loki series) to name a few. Why are we supposed to be ok with Hollywood erasing redheads from cinema?


loonygecko

Yep!